Resources for Desert Times
The arrival of the COVID-19 virus in 2020 has been a challenge worldwide. Communities of faith have striven to find creative ways to stay connected. Sometimes Christian leaders struggle to maintain a buoyancy in their own faith even as they support and encourage those in their care. We offer the resources here as a gift from our community to encourage you in your ministry and life of faith. Check back often for updates!
An alumna shared this resource with interesting points to consider:
Click here to read:
The Hole in the Heart of God:
A Paschal Vigil in Poetry
Resources suggested by Professor Helsel
• Alan Jones, Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality, Harper, 1985.
• Brother Lawrence, The Practice of the Presence of God, Abingdon, 1975.
• Jean Pierre-de Caussade, The Sacrament of the Present Moment, Trans. Kitty Muggeridge, Harper, 1989.
• Erving Goffman, Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity, Simon & Schuster, 1963. Discussses the experience of stigma surrounding illness and disease.
• Arthur Frank, The Wounded Storyteller: Body, Illness & Ethics. U. of Chicago Press, 1995. Discusses the difference between illness and disease and how people manage these transitions.
• Wendy Farley, The Wounding & Healing of Desire, WJKP, 2005. Discusses how we allow our soul’s dispositions to transform through an encounter with God’s grace in contemplation.
To support all pastors and congregations during the COVID-19 pandemic, Westminster John Knox Press is offering a free ebook of their popular lectionary preaching commentary (Cynthia Rigby, co-editor). This volume covers Lent through Pentecost. If you prefer print, you can save 35% on this volume and volume 3, which releases this month and you can preorder now. Click on the button below for the free Kindle edition.