Certificate in Ministry
The Certificate in Ministry is a primarily online program for those who seek substantive theological education but who are not planning to pursue study in a degree program. To earn the certificate you must take seven courses. If you want to be more prepared for a church leadership role or you simply wish to enrich your personal biblical and theological understanding, you will be well-served by the CIM program. For potential lay leaders in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the CIM may meet requirements for Commissioned Ruling Elder.
I often think about my CIM experience and how it has and continues to shape me as a disciple and as a commissioned pastor. This past week I preached two funeral services. I am grateful for the professors and classmates from whom I have learned so much. My Austin Seminary experience helped give me the confidence to write and share …There is much to learn, and I am grateful to be learning through Austin Seminary even though I live miles away.
Courses that are offered
- Church History
- Worship and Preaching (online with some on campus instruction)
- Christian Education (online with some on campus instruction)
- Pastoral Care and Leadership
- PC(USA) Polity
- Introducing Christian Ethics
- Introduction to the Hebrew Bible
- New Testament
Additional courses are in development
Spring 2020: March 23 - May 29
CIM.03 Worship and Preaching, Professor Carolyn B. Helsel
CIM.13 New Testament, Professor Bridgett Green
Fall 2020: September 8 - November 13
CIM.01 Church History, Professor David Johnson
CIM.07 PC(USA) Polity, Professor Paul Hooker
Winter 2021: January 4 - March 12
CIM.04 Christian Education, Professor Michael Washevski
CIM.09 Ethics, Professor Asante Todd
How to Apply
If you are interested in this program, please fill out the "Apply Now" form at right. Please allow up to two weeks for us to process your application. Once you have been admitted to the program, you will be emailed information to register for a course.
- What is the application process?
- How are the courses administered?
- What materials are necessary for the course?
- How will the courses be graded?
- What is the cost of CIM courses?
- Is there a time limit to complete the certificate program?
- Can courses be taken for CIM credit in conjunction with other certificate or degree programs?