MDiv Equivalency Template
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary employs the following template to discern whether an applicant who does not currently hold an accredited MDiv degree has met the minimum number of master’s-level courses and hours to qualify for MDiv equivalency and to discern the applicant’s readiness to enter the program.
To be considered for MDiv equivalency in Austin Seminary’s Doctor of Ministry Program an applicant must have earned a total of 72 master’s-level semester hours.
Additionally, instruction in the following areas must constitute part of the 72 hours:
- Bible -6 hours (2 courses) distributed as follows:
- 3 hours in Introduction to New Testament
- 3 hours in Introduction to Old Testament
- Theology -6 hours (2 courses)
- 3 hours in Intro. to Systematic Theology
- 3 hours in Systematic theology or an elective
- Pastoral Care - 3 hours (1 course)
- Church History -3 hours (1 course)
- Ethics - 3 hours (1 course)
- Supervised Ministry/CPE/Clinical Supervision - 3 hours (1 course)
- Homiletics/Christian Worship/Liturgics - 3 hours (1 course)
- Christian Education - 3 hours (1 course)
*The remaining 42 hours shall be made up in electives germane to an MDiv degree
**The Association of Theological Schools also requires that applicants must have three years of pastoral experience after completing the MDiv degree. In certain circumstances, the Seminary can waive this three year’s of post-MDiv pastoral experience requirement.