Home /
Stitt Library / Austin Seminary Archives / Our archival collections / Austin School of Theology records, 1889-1899, 1930
page tools :
email page print page small type large type

AUSTIN SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY RECORDS, 1887-1899, 1930


Descriptive Summary

Title: Austin School of Theology records
Dates: 1889-1899, 1930
Accession Number(s): 1994-161, 1994-168, 1994-174, 1996-034, 2010-004
Extent: 3 inches
Language: Materials are written in English.
Repository: Austin Seminary Archives at the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary


Administrative History: The Austin School of Theology was established in 1882 by Richmond Kelly Smoot, the pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church in Austin. He was joined by Robert L. Dabney in 1884. Classes were initially held in Smoot’s study, then in the basement of the church until a separate building was built for the school. The school closed operations in 1895 after training forty-four ministers. After its closing, all assets were transferred to the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.

Scope and Contents: The Austin School of Theology Records consists of two inches of material (bulk 1887-1899). The foundation and curriculum of the school is documented in the “Charter, Constitution and By-laws of the Business Corporation of the Austin School of Theology at Austin, Texas” as well as the annual catalogues of the school. Also documented is the founding and work of the Alumni Association of the Austin School of Theology.

Restrictions: Materials are available by appointment only. Contact the archivist for details.

Related Collections: See the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Records for additional material on the Austin School of Theology.

Index Terms:
Dabney, Robert Lewis, 1820-1898.
Smoot, Richmond K.
Tanner, James Gilbert, 1859-1909.
Austin School of Theology.
Presbyterian Church in the U.S.--Synod of Texas--Education.
Presbyterian theological seminaries--Texas--History.

Other Finding Aids: This finding aid is also available in PDF format, which may be more suitable for printing. Click here to download the PDF version.

Preferred Citation: Austin School of Theology records, 1887-1899, 1930, Austin Seminary Archives, Stitt Library, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary


Inventory:

Box Number:
 
Contents: 
B047   Annual Catalogues:
    [One original and one photocopy], 1888-1889
    [Photocopy], 1889-1890
    “Charter, Constitution and By-laws of the Business Corporation of the Austin School of Theology at Austin, Texas”:
    Pamphlet, 1887
    Loose pages found in ledger, 1893-1899 and undated
     
B036   [Bound ledger, handwritten, p. 1-33], November 13, 1889-April 6, 1899, February 25, 1930
     
B076   Alumni Association of the Austin School of Theology:
    Minutes and Constitution, [bound ledger, handwritten], 1890-1891
     
B047   Loose pages found in ledger, 1890-1892
    Alumni Address:
       “The Austin School of Theology: Its Importance to the State and Church,” by Rev. J. G. Tanner of Houston, May 6, 1891
     
E019e   Books from the library collection:
    The Church of God as an Essential element of the Gospel, and the Idea, Structure, and Functions Thereof. A Discourse in Four Parts, by Rev. Stuart Robinson [includes Austin Theological School bookplate, inscription from the author to R. L. Dabney, 2010-004], 1858


© 2017 Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
100 E. 27th Street Austin, Texas 78705
P: 512-404-4800
powered by finalsite