A Year in Review
Austin Seminary is about to close for the Christmas break and is looking forward to returning for a year filled with promise and excitement. Here are some highlights of 2011.
- The Education Beyond the Walls department was established and hosted seven continuing education workshops.
- Rev. Dr. Carlos Ham and retired Army Chaplain Colonel Gilley Richardson received the 2011 ASA Distinguished Service Award.
- Rev. Dr. Allan Cole was inaugurated in the Nancy Taylor Williamson Distinguished Chair for Pastoral Care and installed as academic dean.
- Rev. Dr. Jennifer Lord was installed as the first holder of the Dorothy B. Vickery Chair in Homiletics and Liturgical Studies.
- Austin Seminary graduated fifty-five in the class of 2011.
- Dr. Suzie Park joined Austin Seminary at the beginning of the fall semester as assistant professor of Old Testament. (Dr. Gregory Cuéllar joined as adjunct professor of Old Testament and will be an assistant professor of Old Testament in January.)
- The University Senate of the United Methodist Church once again endorsed Austin Seminary among its approved seminaries.
- The Cousins Family Foundation awarded Austin Seminary a grant to help establish the AYAVA House for young adult volunteers.
- Austin Seminary welcomed forty-four masters level students in the incoming class of 2011.
- Ninety-one percent of students enrolled in the fall of 2011 received scholarships and grants from Austin Seminary.
- Dr. David Jensen, Dr. Whitney Bodman, and Dr. Allan Cole published books in 2011.
- Faculty members were invited guest lecturers, teachers, preachers and panelists at more than 50 venues.
- A triumphant Team Calvin remains Polity Bowl champions over the team from the Seminary of the Southwest.
In this issue, you will read more about how you can continue to support the mission of Austin Seminary, the many wonderful continuing education workshops and lectures planned for 2012, and hear about all of the work that has been done to help keep alumni connected and engaged with Austin Seminary.
Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a joyful new year!